THE ONLY ADDRESS CHANGE CHECKLIST YOU NEED IF YOU ARE MOVING WITHIN TORONTO
In partnership with MovingWaldo – Free moving concierge service
Moving to a new place in Toronto soon? You might want to start notifying important places of your address change. For a little while, you can get Canada Post to forward your mail to your new residence but eventually, you will need to notify many places directly. We know, it is one of the hurdles of moving but we are always here to make it easier for you.
Save time and change your address all at once
If you are looking to save time and avoid repeating the same information with all organization and service provider one at a time, we recommend using MovingWaldo‘s free centralized change of address service. It allows you to build your own list and lets you notify your service providers of your new address in a single click. Enter your address once and get started!
Below, we’ve made a checklist you can use to remember all of the places that may need to know that you’ve changed addresses. We’ve also included useful links to the appropriate locations, convenient for Toronto moves. Some places will let you change your address online, how easy! But with places like banks, you may need to an address change in person. If you are moving with family, you may also want to change their address with some organizations. So the earlier we get started, the better! A local move has never been easier so let’s start:
- Post-Office: Set Up Mail Forwarding with Canada Post
- Your Employer: Paychecks, Tax Forms etc.
- School, Colleges and Universities
- Bank & Credit Union: Make sure your statements are mailed to the new place once you move
- Loan Issuers
- Credit Cards
- Student Loans
UTILITIES AND HOME SERVICES
- Gas This link provides forms for move-out for current customers and also address lookup for new customers.
- Internet/Cable: Schedule a service ahead of time so you can stay connected
- Cell-Phone Service
- Driver’s License: From the time your address changes, you must update your driver’s license within 6 days by law.
- Health Card: From the time your address changes, you must update your health card within 30 days by law.
- CRA: Use MyAccount to change your address online.
Other governmental agencies:
- Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS)
- Employment insurance
- Election Card
- Canadian Firearms Program (CFP)
- Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
- Outdoor card (Ontario)
Visit MovingWaldo to learn more about address change procedures.
- Car dealership
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Car Insurance: Premiums may change based on the new address, make sure you call ahead to be informed even if your Toronto move is within the same neighbourhood.
- Home Insurance: Get quotes with your current insurance provider or compare quotes online.
MEMBERSHIP & SUBSCRIPTION
- Retail Clubs
- Subscription Boxes
- Reward and/or membership cards
- Professional association
- Alumni association
- Shopping (Amazon, etc.)
- Streaming Services
- Mapping Services (Google Maps, Apple Maps etc.). You want to make sure you end up at the right destination when you ask Google Maps to show you the way home!
Finally, you can download your printable change of address checklist
We recommend this printable moving checklist which includes governmental agencies, service providers, as well as organizations, all of which you should advise of your move.
The list might seem long at first glance but once you get going at it, the repetition makes it easier and lighter! It is a good idea to schedule a couple hours one day to sit down and make the phone calls to the appropriate places. Online address changes are easier and quicker, which will save you so much time in the end. For all of your other Toronto moving needs, The Six Moving team is here to make the moving transition a breeze. Contact us today if you have any questions or need more tips and tricks. And remember…