HOW TO PREPARE YOUR MOVE IN 10 EASY STEPS.
Whether you are moving to the neighbourhood or across town, moving your home can be daunting. But, if you are well-prepared, the transition will be smooth. Our professional movers have gathered to steps to follow in order to make your Toronto move a stress-free one. Follow the 10 steps below to decrease stress and increase the chances of making moving you move easy breezy!
Hire the best from professional moving companies
1) Hire a professional, reliable and honest moving company that serves your area. Do your research on the local moving company and ensure they have positive reviews. Ideally, you want to start getting quotes at least a month before your move. Get an estimate from The Six Moving to start the first step! When you are happy with the estimate, book your move to secure your spot. That will be one thing out of the way.
2) You never know how much stuff you have until you start packing. So a good starting point is to go through your stuff and declutter. You can donate, sell the items, prepare a garage sale or simply discard things that you cannot reuse.
3) Start packing seasonal items and other items that you do not use frequently. This will not only help you organize but will also give you more space to pack other items.
4) You want to inform your telephone, cable and other service providers about your upcoming move so they may schedule your installations at the new home accordingly. This is also a good time to make a list of governmental agencies, businesses and people you may want to inform about your change of address. These include Service Ontario, CRA, doctor, bank, dentist, post office, accountant, insurance companies, vet, friends and family etc
5) If you did not hire your movers for packing services, start purchasing moving and packing supplies such as boxes, bubble wrap, newsprint paper, labels, tape, stretch wrap etc. You can get all of these supply through The Six Moving. When packing your boxes, assign a color or a number to each room and label your boxes.
6) You want to book the day of your move off so you may have enough leeway before your move, during and after your move. This will allow you to optimize how much you can get done and be settled at the new place rapidly.
7) Two weeks before the move, start packing all valuable items and documents separately so you may move those yourself for added safety. Then, start packing as much as you can but leave items you will use throughout the week prior to the move for the last.
8) Pack an overnight essentials bag which will include toiletries, clothing, medicine, bottled water, toilet paper, pet food and any other belongings you think may be useful for easy access at the new place
9) Check-in with your movers to confirm everything and ask any questions you may have. This is a good time to cover any updates you may have for them.
10) Put some tip aside for your friendly and hard-working movers!
You did it! Now you can plan your housewarming party! If you have any questions you would like further advice on preparing your move, our knowledgeable reps will be happy to assist and provide insightful tips. Simply give us a call, we love all things moving.